I got a
minion undergrad student to help me this summer! This week is all about lab safety and equipment training, but now from the other side for me.
Basically boils down to:
- don’t look into the laser beam
- avoid putting your eyes or anyone else’s eyes at the beam level
- wear laser goggles (for the appropriate wavelength) when aligning optics that can redirect the beam
- try to align the beam away from you
- adjust the beam path at lowest laser power
- don’t leave flammable things in the beam path eg. cardboard, your hand
- think things through before doing anything (eg. trace the laser beam path before turning laser on, let the laser cool down before turning off cooling water)
- exercise chem lab safety with chemicals
- keep a clean and organized lab space
I couldn’t think of a menial task today though, so I guess she’ll miss out on that rite of passage.